Wednesday, April 17, 2013

back in the groove


We are slowly easing back into the usual routine, we had a bit more of a normal show, but the main topic of conversation today was still the Boston marathon bombings. Michael Rock explained to me the importance of addressing the issue heavily. He said, Of course you want to be a sort of funny lighthearted escape for people most of the time but sometimes you just can’t. Times like these, he told me, you have to stop your own programming and just relate to what’s happening out there. JR mentioned on air also this morning how Larry was completely glued to his iPhone. JR was making fun because Larry is often updating all of his social media during the show but not this time, Larry defending himself saying  “I’m in reporter mode”. It was interesting to see even the resident comic of the show switch gears in response to the tragedy. The company that owns the station, Town Square Media, sent out a memo that warned against making jokes about the bombings. When the DJs were presented with said memo they responded with a face that I took to mean “Thank you Captain Obvious, now Mark please throw that in the garbage bin”.            
            More of the daily staples in programming were back on the air today. We had contests, and I explained to the winners how and when to claim their prize. We had entertainment coverage, and I got Michael Rock audio of a Mark Wahlberg interview.  Also, we had the weather. This I had the chance to produce myself. That’s right, yours truly sat down at the little production desk thingy and pieced together something that went on air. Below I have a picture of where the magic happens.  The computer has on it the editing software and is connected to the mixing board if you prefer to do some things manually. 

Basically there’s a third party weather guy who sends the station his report every morning. This report I laid together with some background music –called a ‘bed’- and put onto both ends the Weather intro and the catchy *cough*annoying* Fun 107 jingle. With that, I had created the morning’s weather bit, and once uploaded onto the server would be played by JR right after traffic. It seems simple and it is really, but the software used is very intricate and I have no idea how to manipulate it yet. Since this is a big part of what I do there I wonder I would be able to use it for my presentation at the end of the year. I definitely want some audio samples of things I produced, and maybe have a small demonstration of the software if I can somehow get it. The software is probably expensive, and I might not be allowed to use the clips for my own use, but just something to think about. 

1 comment:

  1. Can you record what you produced and use that as part of your presentation?

    Did they show you how to use the program and/or equipment or are you having to figure it out yourself? Daunting!

    ReplyDelete