Friday, April 19, 2013

man hunt


What a crazy day. It has been kind of fun and exiting, although those aren’t the exact words I want to use because of the unfortunate circumstances. The day became increasingly more bizarre as it went on. As soon as I came in at 5:30, the three DJs were buzzing around. This whole week we’ve been responding to the bombings in Boston but there were late night developments that the morning show jumped on immediately. The man hunt for Suspect two (still going on as I write this) was unraveling  fast. I had Michael Rock telling me to find audio of this interview, and a picture of this suspect. I had set up my own little production studio. I was on YouTube, CBS live stream, I listened to a police scanner, getting updates on Fox and CNN’s tweets, and my own research. I was searching the internet to give the DJs something to report on. I found the 19 year old bastard’s Facebook (not really Facebook its like a Russian version), photos of him from UMASS Dartmouth’s Facebook page, and interviews from his uncle and his friends. Every time we would break a new story, we would get a call or see something on that was new and just as startling. The shootout in Watertown was scary close, but then we learned that he was much much closer to home than we knew. Reports came in that this man is currently a student at UMass Dartmouth. He was seen buying bleach at Trucci’s supermarket. That’s literally a mile from my house and my best friend work there. As soon as I learned something I ran into the FM studio and told the DJs and they shared on air. The most difficult task of the day was finding an interview of the suspect’s uncle. I looked everywhere and could not find a video of it, but by chance I was streaming and recording the channel 4 news and they played it.  I edited it a bit and gave it to a super exited Michael Rock. I went out to grab a Dunkin for JR and saw two black hawks flying overhead…this is actually crazy. The morning show turned into an impromptu afternoon show and though I stayed for several extra hours, it kept on going long after I left. The DJs were so exited to report this stuff especially because it was in our own backyard. Locals called in to tell us about how they’ve seen the suspect recently, and they called to ask questions about roadblocks and evacuations.  You could tell MR,JR &L really felt responsible for this information and getting it out there. I wish I could say more now but I have yet to really process all of this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment