I hate this. I hate looking at the same two videos of the
bomb going off that the news channels keep repeating. I don’t want to see the
kid’s picture, I don’t want to hear about how many people lost their limbs, the
whole thing is sick and way to close to Acushnet Massachusetts for me feel
comfortable with. Although I would very much like to say my prayers and ignore
all of the feed coming from the race, I can’t. the bombings were the sole topic
of discussion on this morning’s show. Michael Rock debated presenting other
news but it would have been a “dick move” to not focus primarily on yesterday’s
events. I would have preferred he was a dick, we could have talked about Justin
Beiber spitting on his neighbor and listened to Ke$ha, but no. I said earlier
how this job is half entertainer half news anchor, but today was all news
anchor. There wasn’t much of any new information we had that everyone didn’t
already know about. I guess we were reporting news just to give people a chance
to process it rather than becoming aware of it. The TV in the studio was on ABC
news as it usually is and was looping the same videos taken by iphones and the
pictures of a bloody Boylston St. It didn’t seem right to give away prizes so
that was called off, I put the certificates back in the binder for tomorrow.
There was nothing worth editing for promo use, so I left a bit early. Good, I
thought, I really wanted to get out of there. Have you ever been forced to
listen to a conversation you were not a fan of several times. Every hour it was
time for the news, and even though none of it was new, Michael, JR, and Larry
had to again present and react to the occurrences. You kind of felt helpless,
the DJs had no choice but to be the bearer of bad news. They feel just as bad
as every listener so I guess this morning was about sharing that experience of
shock and confusion. A woman called in
this morning with a song request. She thought it would be nice to play Where is the Love by the Black Eyed
Peas. Now there was nothing I could do at the station, as we learned last week,
song requests are politely ignored. I
did, however, agree with her and think it would have been something nice to
hear.
Sometimes these events bring out the best in people. There were lots of stories about people helping complete strangers make phone calls to loved ones, or helping them find a place to stay. Too bad we can't treat each other as well every, ordinary day.
ReplyDelete