Monday, April 15, 2013

some pics for yah


Today is presidents day or mothers day or war veteran’s day or some holiday that gives public schools and most working people the day off, but not Tabor. So without the morning show running as usual, I thought this might be a great opportunity to get some photos of the station and my environment over there and hopefully that’ll add some context and be something I can refer to from time to time.
I start this little picture book with the radio station’s exterior. Other than the sign shown, there is nothing that would set this building aside from any other office. Also notice the sky…its really dark outside when I arrive. Like no one should really be up and about at this unnatural hour.


My next picture is of the broadcasting room… I just made that up, I don’t think the room has an actual name but its where all the broadcasting happens. The desk is in a U shape with Michael Rock and Larry on the outside, and JR at the helm on the inside of the U. I stand in the corner of the room behind JR. From that position, I have quick access to the phone to my left and any paperwork for prizes or information in the cabinet to my right. Each of the DJs are on their own laptops as well as a desktop. They use the computers from anything from News/Entertainment update preparations, to YouTube and Facebook. The computers and console in the middle handle most of the programming automatically, while JR can manipulate, change, or stop any programming using the white soundboard in front of him. 


A view from the same position just higher



Below is the studio from my point of view in my little corner. When people ask me if I am on the air, I have to pause because technically I am. I mean, if I accidentally make a noise or sneeze, the mics will pick it up and will be heard. It is an interesting dynamic because I am in the room with the hosts but in absolutely no way am I a host of my own. We’ll all talk about the car chase that happened in wareham during a song, but when the DJs are back on air- they continue the conversation about the car chase, and I remain silent. The only exception is when I am spoken to by them.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Mark, I can't see these pictures. Just though you should know.
    - Smitty

    ReplyDelete