Today has been a day full of editing- audio editing. Its kind of hard to
explain, but basically everything said into a microphone at Fun 107 is recorded
and anything funny or otherwise important can be found on a server, edited, and
used for many purposes. I have been editing audio, or mainly helping Larry edit
audio to use either as bits or gags in the show, or as promotional material
throughout the day. Larry uses me as a rough edit. I cut out major gaps,
pauses, ums and ahs, and try to get the clip in under a minute. Larry is far
better than I am when it comes to editing for content and keeping only what
leads to a punch line in around 40-60 seconds. At first the only challenge was
learning about the software. Keyboard shortcuts and little tricks that I’ve
either stumbled upon or picked up from watching the DJs have made my editing
time much faster. The second challenge I came across was trying to edit
content. A three minute conversation needed to be cut down to under a minute
and hopefully it will be something funny that will compliment the morning show.
Now this sucks because honestly, I don’t
find much of what is talked about funny. What baffles me is that people call in
and rave about the morning show and how funny it is. Now I don’t exactly know where
these people are calling from, or what shade of gray the rock is that they are
living under, but there is no way it is within range of our broadcast. Larry can be witty, but Michael is corny as
hell and JR’s humor is sooooo dry. Michael Rock also has this weird affinity
for the word ‘unbelievable’. He says it like consistently at least every ten
minutes. “THAT..is unbelievable!” “That’s unbelievable”… “Wow, unbelievable” “I
cannot believe that” etcetera, etcetera,…. Etcetera. Anyways, trying to sift the
mundane conversation for bits of gold has become my main task. This production
phase of the business seems to be more important than anything done on air.
Lots of audio production is also done for ads, the only way the station makes
money. I am getting better at producing and hopefully I’ll be able to take the
reigns more and be able to put my name on some finished product. Something to
share during my presentation would be nice. Still looking for a chair or stool
or something my feet hurt after standing for several hours in one spot.
No comments:
Post a Comment