Today I felt like an intern. An
actual intern, can you believe it! I did actual internyish things instead of
just standing around watching the three hosts do their thang. I turned the
lights on in the morning, and made Larry a cup of coffee! Well not really, I
mean the Keurig kind of had it under control; I was more a deliverer of coffee
per say. But that’s not it. Later in the day a woman came in to talk on the AM
station down the hall (WBSM AM-1420 shares the studio building with FUN 107)
and I welcomed her and escorted her to the am station.
Later I was
given a mission. In the middle of the show, Michael Rock said he needed a
picture of Kenny’s sign he put up after the farm stand robbery, it’s just right
up the street, you can’t miss it. I said no problem. Now…let this be a lesson
on the importance of explicit instruction.
Last summer, when I had my troop of 18 Giftstogive summer interns, I
learned the hard way that I needed to explain every single aspect of the task
in order for it to get done. I didn’t understand how my interns were incapable
of doing simple tasks until I was on the other end and became the one who
received a task. I left the station, got into my car and realized I had no idea
where I was supposed to go. Up the street? What street? So I just started
driving. I went up route 6, drove a while and didn’t see anything resembling a
farm stand nor did I see any sign that stood out so I turned around. Went down
the other way on route 6 and passed the station in the other direction. I knew
nothing was this way because I had gone this route on my way to the station
earlier in the morning. I looped around back to the station and went around to
Alden road thinking that may have been the street Michael was talking about.
Well it wasn’t. I then Googled ‘Farm stand Fairhaven’ and found it! Thank god I
literally took almost a half hour to drive a mile up route 6. No exaggeration, the red line is the route i took, blue is what i should have taken.
I took the
picture of the reward sign, and went back to the station. I angled all of the pictures so my parked
car is visible in all of them ;) so if the story goes on the Fun 107 website,
There she’ll be!

No comments:
Post a Comment