So today was pretty similar to days past so I
figured that I would use this entry to talk more about what I had
witnessed/been a part of last week. All I could think about was the image of
the cliche reporter fiend-ing over their laptop and phone looking for a lead on
the big story. The station was buzzing. Glued to their mics broadcasting an
extended morning show, the three DJs were asking me for things that they wanted
on the air. I would search for these things, record the audio on Adobe
Audition, and upload it to the server. Things they wanted varied from
interviews, press conferences, statements from local officials, Gov. Patrick,
and Obama, as well as police scanner audio. I also was updating the news story
on FUN107.com whenever more of the story unraveled or I found a relevant
picture. I was glad to be put to use but above that I was glad to witness the
station at a sprint. When Michael rock wanted the interview of the terrorists
classmate, he ran into the room i was in and ran back to make it in time before
the song ended on air. When I heard that the suspect was a UMASS Dartmouth
student i ran into the studio and told them. Several times I broke the unspoken
rule of silence while we were on air, but it didn't matter that day. There was
a lot of running. There were people on phones too calling other stations asking
for permission to use this photo, or that audio.
I didn't understand how important it was until several calls from
listeners came in. Some called with questions, and some with appreciation for
keeping them informed. Our relay of the information really was important.
People at work, at home, but especially on the road were looking to Fun107 for
understanding. The previous day, some affiliate from the station’s parent
company in Manhattan told JR that Fun107’s production rivals anything he’s
heard in New York.
It was these remarks, from professionals and listeners that made
everyone in the station energetic and eager to report. They were all exited to
be a part of this apparently respected and relied on broadcast. And you could
tell that Michael, JR, and Larry really were thinking about what the listeners
needed, wanted, and expected to hear. The dynamic of the show changed that
week, and I do not think it was because of the content talked about. We aren’t
CNN of FOX, or even a larger Boston channel. We are a local station, and no one
expected us to be the first to break any news to them or have people
broadcasting on the scene. Our tone and pace changed based on the listener. On
any given day they tune in for entertainment, a few laughs, and popular songs.
Last week they tuned in for awareness, understanding, and reflection, and so that’s
what was given to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment