Friday, April 12, 2013

Espirito Gato


This morning started like it normally does. I prep the DJs for various segments, I answer the phones, and I find and edit audio. The change in the status quo of today was that we all got to meet ‘ Espirito Gato’ ….yeah, that’s a real thing. I guess Fridays are ‘Free Fortune Fridays’ here at Fun 107. At first, I figured that that meant fortune in terms of money, like you could win a lot of money for free…How wrong I was. Free Fortune Friday refers to free on-air fortune telling, by an actual fortune teller. I didn’t know these types of people still existed. The only other fortune teller I can recall is the creepy Chinese lady from Freaky Friday who switches the minds of Lindsey Lohan and Jamie lee Curtis.  With that impression of these types of people, I made the decision to keep a close eye on Espirito Gato, or Mr. Gato I guess…first name Espirito?
            Anyways, the setup of the segment is pretty simple. Callers call in (obviously), and Espirito Gato tells them their fortune or reads the stars or somethine. He brought with him rocks, cards and other various mystical whosywhatsits (toys), and the man used these to guide his readings. There were four callers total and each one was extremely unfortunate in its own way.  He would start introductions then go right into his ‘act’. “Ok listen I am starting to sense something about you dear…”, Mr. Gato would say in his Mexican accent. He proceeded to warn the caller about something and then ask if his predictions were anywhere close or relevant to the caller’s life. The answer was consistently no. “I’m here to tell you to keep your family close okay, is there any family drama happening or two sides of the family split from one another?”, and the caller would say “….eh no not really at all…no” Whether it was career related, family, or relationship related, Espirito Gato was completely off and entirely live, unfortunately for him.  I guess that’s just part of the game of radio; there isn’t much opportunity to fix things so you just go on air with what material you have.
            Later, Espirito asked JR, Michael Rock, Larry, and I if we knew a Don in the afterlife. I didn’t know a Don but said I did and confirmed all of Mr. Gato’s predictions about Don and his relation to me. I felt bad for the guy and knew its kind of uncomfortable to be on radio for the first time. but yeah I’ve never met a Don in my life, Espirito Gato has to be the worst fortune teller in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment